With the increase of technology, we've shown that teenagers have a decrease in sexual behavior & drug use but an increase in suicidal gestures, self-harm & depression.
- isolation, sad mood, self-harm, substance abuse
- always isolating themselves
- always on video games or phones
- always wearing long sweaters
- always covering up their body b/c of cuts/scratches
- significant drop in grades
Check their phone & see who they are talking to & connecting with.
Dr. Adewale has seen horror stories of kids connecting with adults and getting kidnapped.
Constant communication with your child. Have a discussion once a day. How was your day? How are you doing? It could be a simple zero (depressed) to ten (fine).
Stay in good communication with their school/teachers/counselors.
Good communication with their friends (peers).
Communicate with your child.
Set a good example. Model the behavior that you want to see.
If you feel like something is wrong, reach out to a clinician, therapist, coach, etc. Get them help immediately.